Children at weddings can be so adorable and entertaining to watch but it can quickly turn the other direction if they are not having fun and are bored stiff. A crying irritable child pulling at their parent is upsetting to not only the parents of the child but to other guests as well.
Being a parent of children who have attended many gatherings over the years, I have acquired a few tips in keeping children entertained at events and thought I’d share some with you.
Tips for Entertaining Children At Your Event
1. Provide a designated play area – If an option, having a designated area off to the side whether indoors or out where the children can play safely is always preferable.
2. Assign a responsible teen to supervise – Providing a person whose job is to supervise the play area and children as well as encourage happy play is advisable. Consider a monetary gift for the person in charge as a gesture of thanks and appreciation. You may want to have more than one teen in charge depending on number of children and various age groups.
3. Provide age appropriate toys – Having safe toys available for child guests will serve to entice them to play and have fun; thus allowing their parents to enjoy their time more. Remember it’s not a good idea to include paints or colourful chalk in the list of child entertainment items. Little colourful fingers touching a wedding gown or mom’s fancy dress will not be appreciated.
Depending on the age of the children invited you may wish to consider the following:
Age 0 – 3yrs: rattles, sensory gyms, blankets, pre-school toys with no small detachable pieces
Age 4 – 7yrs – large lego pieces/building blocks, balls, cars & dolls, role-play toys like small kitchens, large cardboard boxes with crayons to encourage creativity in making their house or car, bean bags, animated movie area
Age 8 – 11yrs – games, scooter, latest action figures & dolls, lego, dress up toy box (fun hats, glasses, boas), electronic gaming area, cards, pokéman trinkets
4. Food & Drink – Be aware of any allergies and provide snacks for hungry tummies. Apple slices, biscuits, cheese, pretzels, small apple juice drink boxes are some good choices. Avoid colourful treats like orange puff snacks, barbecue chips and orange or grape pop.
5. Reminder to parents – You may wish to remind parents to bring any special items their children find to be soothing like blankies or stuffed toys for when the child becomes tired and needs to cuddle or snuggle up.
I hope you’ve found these suggestions helpful. Please check back with our Eventastic website for more general event/wedding tips and ideas in our blogging section.
Eventastic is an innovative platform designed to enable organizers worldwide to creatively market and manage events, workshops, seminars, programs etc. for personal, business and community purposes. You’ll have access to multiple features like free registration/ticketing, donation, guest funding, silent auction display, item/service sales, photo/video upload, social media support & gamification options helping you drive success regardless of event size or type. Getting married or know someone who is? Create a wedding themed page with ticketing for your Stag’NDoe and add a Guest Funding button for things like ‘Honeymoon Fund’, ‘New Home Fund’, ‘Home Reno Fund’ etc. Guests want to give toward something they know you’ll truly appreciate. Try it now!