Movember is an annual event which runs for the month of November. Its goal is to raise awareness and monies in connection to prostate cancer, testicular cancer and mental health challenges. Hopefully through mass participation, all men will have more discussion and become more aware of their health, taking the time to be checked for any issues that are noted. Here are some stats you may not be aware of:
- 1 in 7 men will develop prostate cancer during his lifetime
- 1 in 28 men will die of prostate cancer
- A man dies from prostate cancer every 15.6 minutes
- Prostate cancer is the most frequently diagnosed cancer in men after skin cancer
- If detected & treated early, prostate cancer has a 95 percent success rate
- While there are cases of prostate cancer showing up in younger men, it is recommended that men begin an annual screening at age 50 and at the age of 40 if there is a family history
Movember tries to put a ‘fun twist’ on such serious issues of prostate cancer for the month of November by using the moustache as a motivator and conversation piece to encourage men to discuss their health more openly and take necessary action for any concerns. Movember has become a global program with many events making mega dollars to be allocated to research that supports the Global Action Plan.
Chart from Movember.com
Whether you’re just growing a moustache, choosing to attend a Movember event or actually creating an event to show support and raise funds, your participation and involvement in Movember at whatever level will make a difference. Wouldn’t it be great to know you helped to make that difference!
Create your party on Eventastic and support Movember. Add a guest funding or donation button to your event page and even those who are unable to attend will be able to give to your cause.