It’s a behaviour one has hopefully learned very early in life. We are taught to help others in pre-school and throughout our education. We are encouraged through family life and religious affiliations to help others. To do something to benefit another individual or group through sharing, comforting, teaching etc. is what helping others is all about and in doing so you quickly learn the multiple benefits of this action.
Benefits of Helping Others
There are multiple reasons why one should consider helping others whether through everyday living, volunteering, teaching or otherwise. When you help others you:
- Feel satisfaction in knowing you have made a positive contribution
- Feel an increase in self worth
- Let others know they are important
- Make connections with others
- Acknowledge and recognize your ability to assist where help is needed
- Make a difference
- Feel gratification through the rewards of positive feedback
- Feel pleasure and happiness
- Feel fulfillment with increased sense of purpose
- Show others the importance of helping and inspire them to do so
Helping in Your Own Community
Communities benefit from people willing to help people. Not necessarily earth shattering news but sometimes we get so caught up with our busy lives we forget how extra efforts to help others can make a difference in making the world a better place.
Not sure where to start? Here’s a short inspirational list to get you thinking.
- Consider volunteering with an organization or group in your community
- Ask friends or workmates to join you in organizing/participating in a small or large fundraiser
- Ask neighbours to assist and participate with a street party or garage sale with donations to a local charity
- Search for fundraisers or events in your community and call to offer assistance
- Offer help to someone in need
- Make a donation
- Offer assistance with a program or event offered through your religious affiliation and/or school
- Offer assistance with a local sports/recreational team
- Teach skills you have to others
- Organize a support group for a cause needing attention
Whether it’s opening a door for someone, baking for a bake sale, assisting with a car wash, gathering items for a community garage sale or assisting with a large gala, you have the ability to make a difference!
Eventastic is event software you can use to invite guests, manage RSVPs, successfully promote/market events, sell tickets and merchandise and accept donations for any cause you choose! Consider using Eventastic for your next party, fundraiser or event. Get started here.