In recognition of the importance of the family, some provinces in Canada have made the 3rd Monday of February in each year a public holiday. This is not a federally established holiday and there are some variations to the dates chosen depending on province. Family Day was created to give people time to spend with their families and encourage positive family togetherness.
Family is Important
The family unit, whether talking the nuclear family (smaller family unit with adult(s) and child(ren) or the larger extended family (aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents), is very important for a number of reasons and should be nurtured to be a healthy structure with values conducive to physical and mental well being. Knowing you have a supportive family network is encouraging and can lower stress levels. Taking the time to focus on family and promote healthy positive relationships within that family unit is positive for the individual, family and then subsequently, the community.
What To Do
Common Family Day activities include skating, snowboarding/skiing, watching movies, playing board games, crafting, attending winter festivals, tobogganing or going to art centers and museums. Your community newspapers will always list a number of events happening on Family Day in your city or town to give you ideas and help plan your day with family.
You Know Your Family Best
Having a discussion prior to the day of what everyone would like to do together is a great idea. Take everyone’s thoughts and opinions into consideration and let everyone know you are making this time together a priority. Even if you don’t get the day off work you can plan to do an activity that evening or schedule another day that will work best for your family.
Pick an activity that will be fun for everyone to do together whether staying in the home or venturing out somewhere. You might want to include other families in your neighbourhood to join in on your planned activity. One family I know is planning a tobogganing event on Eventastic and is inviting relatives and other families to join in. Their event page displays all the details of their proposed special day, many fun photos from times past, a registration link and even a donation link to the cause that is near and dear to their heart.
Just Have Fun
Be creative. Relax. Let your hair down. Have fun with your family. It’s why it was created.
Create your Family Day event for free now on Eventastic.
What is Caribana?
Caribana is a fabulous festival of Caribbean culture and traditions celebrated in Toronto, Ontario, Canada every year since 1967, Canada’s Centennial year. It was originally performed as a gift from the West Indian community in Canada to reflect Carnival events that take place in Trinidad and Tobago. Caribana launches this year on July 8, 2014 and promises a 3-week cultural explosion of Caribbean music, cuisine and performing arts.
Caribana Highlights for 2014.
Celebrating its 47th anniversary this year, Caribana will be highlighting several events of interest including:
- Official Launch – July 8, 2014 – Nathan Phillips Square – 12pm – 2pm & 4pm – 8pm, Free for All!
- Opening Service – July 13, 2014 – Church of the Nativity – 10am, Free for All!
- Junior Carnival – July 19, 2014 – Neilson Park – 11am – 6pm, Free Event!
- Festival Gala – July 25, 2014 – Liberty Grand Entertainment Complex – 5:30pm – 2am, Cocktails, Dinner, Awards, After Party
- King & Queen Competition & Show – July 31, 2014 – Allan Lamport Stadium – 7pm – 12am, Singles, Couples, Family, Dance
- Diamond Fashion Show – July 31, 2014, Included in Most Unique Destination Events Wknd Package or sold separately.
- Summer Slamm – August 1, 2014 – Wilson Ave. Outdoor Arena – 7:30pm – 11pm
- Jab Jab J’Ouvert – August 1, 2014 – Wilson Ave. Outdoor Arena – 11pm – 4:30am
- Cabana Pool Party – August 1, 2014, Included in Most Unique Destination Events Wknd Package
- Grand Parade – August 2, 2014 – Exhibition Place & Lakeshore Blvd – 9am – 6pm, Free & Paid Event; $5 Early Bird
- Socialites Caribana Ball – August 2, 2014, Included in Most Unique Destination Events Wknd Package
- Carnival Island – August 3, 2014 – Olympic Island – 12pm
Never a dull moment, with over a million people expected to attend this years festivities, don’t delay in marking your calendars and booking your overnight stay!
Most Unique Destination Events Packages.
Eventastic is excited to support Most Unique Destination Event’s Caribana VIP Weekend Packages running from Thursday July 31 – Saturday August 3, 2014. You will experience excitement, entertainment, cultural experiences and more fun than imaginable with package options including accommodation at Toronto Marriott Downtown Eaton Centre Hotel, welcome gift, bottle of wine, event options and transportation to the events.
Explore the package details and read more on the Networking Happy Hour, Diamond Fashion Show, Cabana Pool Party, Street Party and Socialites Caribana Ball by clicking here!