I have enjoyed the benefits of my neighbourhood street party every September for many years. The street has been divided in various sections including about five homes in each. Every year around this time the group of families whose turn it is to organize will get together to plan this year’s neighbourhood event.
Planning a street party, while taking some thought and organization does not have to be an overwhelming ordeal. Recognizing various home owner skills and asking for their assistance in particular areas is helpful. Note-taking during the pre-street party meetings is also crucial for keeping track of decisions but also for those planning in subsequent years.
There are a few things to consider when planning your neighbourhood get-together.
1. Budget – Consider what would be a reasonable cost for adults and children in order to cover the costs of the event
2. Food – Consider what is easily prepared and served. We have always found burgers & hotdogs to be the best with a potluck of appetizers, salads and desserts.
3. Games & Prizes – We always get the older kids on the street to organize & supervise fun games for children of all ages. Art tables, bike parade, dog show, talent show, face painting, bouncy castle, etc.
4. Special Guests – Having a firetruck, juggler, magician etc. have been very popular choices
5. Music – Whether a DJ or a band, people enjoy a musical mixer in the evening
6. List of Items Needed – Barbecues, tables, tent (in case of rain), fire pit, game supplies & prizes, food etc. Also, plan who will get the required items and when.
7. Rain Date – If no option for a large tent, you may consider a rain date
8. Invitation – Decide on how to approach and entice all the neighbours about the street party with a cool invite
9. Money Collection – Decide on how to collect the monies in a easy non-time consuming fashion for organizers & guests
10. Setup – Decide who will be available to assist with setup & take down for the day
More and more people are choosing to use Eventastic to promote their events, sell tickets and track RSVP’s!
Neighbourhood street parties are easily coordinated and promoted on Eventastic with the use of fun neighbourhood pics for cover photos, ticketing options to allow neighbours to pay online and registration options to allow people to sign up for potluck items.
Have fun and get to know your neighbours! Start now.