All four seasons are amazing for their own reasons but Fall is particularly nice for the lovely seasonal colours and celebrations of end of harvest. Aside from Thanksgiving celebrations which you can read about in our other blogs, our community celebrates Oktoberfest which is a great Bavarian festival that runs in the beginning of October on a yearly basis. This year the Gemütlichkeit festivities will again bring about multiple celebrations in all the fest halls around the city as well as in people’s homes.
At a fest hall, you can expect the atmosphere to include:
- Lively loud German music
- Great foods like apple strudel, sausage or schnitzel on a bun
- Loads of beer and schnapps
- Multitudes of crazy friends, old and new dancing the polka till the wee hours of the morning.
If you are the person that prefers a little less ‘oom pah pah’, you can easily host your own Oktoberfest party with our 5 Top Tips.
- Make a list and invite fun friends and family who will enjoy German music/heritage and may even dress the part with lederhosen and dirndls.
- Plan on serving such items as sausage or schnitzel on a bun, sauerkraut, braised cabbage, creamy potato salad and apple strudel. Consider having kegs of beer and shots of schnapps too!
- Make a playlist of German style tunes making sure to include the infamous ‘Chicken Dance’.
- Move some furniture aside to allow for an area that people can show off their polka skills or play some games.
- Decorate with touches of blue and white checked tablecloths, Oktoberfest banner flags and if you have steins for the beer all the better.
If you’re ready to kick it up a notch, you could also book a hall and create an entertaining fundraising event to support your local food bank or favourite charity. It’s a Wunderbar way to bring your community together.
Eventastic is a ticketing and free registration platform with fundraising capabilities which is used worldwide helping organizers promote and manage their events online. Along with unique photo and video features, organizers have tools at their fingertips to create their invites to entice guests to want to attend as well as make it easy for guests to give monies for causes near and dear.
Have fun celebrating Oktoberfest this year!
Cheers from Eventastic!