Having your own Oktoberfest party is a great way of bringing friends and family together to have fun with this Bavarian celebration. We’ve put together a list of our Top 10 favourite games you may want to consider for added enjoyment while your guests are eating their sausage on a bun and chugging their frosty beers.
1. Beer Stein Race – Guests must carry steins filled to the rim with beer using only one hand from the start to finish line. The guest with the most brew in their stein upon finish is the winner.
2. Fraus and Frauleins – Divide your guests into teams and provide them with dress-up items like hats, aprons, shorts, skirts, feathers, socks and fake braids. Give them a limited amount of time to dress a teammate as a Frau or Fraulein. A judge selects the best Frau and Fraulein who then performs a mock marriage of ‘Prince Ludwig and Princess Therese’ (the couple whose marriage inspired Oktoberfest).
3. Chicken Dance Off – Form your guests in a large circle and have them dance the classic Oktoberfest ‘Chicken Dance’ with all the actions while you play various versions of the song at different speeds. Judges tap out guests when they make a mistake with the dance movements. The faster the song plays the more entertaining and difficult the dance becomes.
4. Pretzel Pass – Form teams in a line and give each guest a toothpick and the first person in the line a pretzel. Each person puts the toothpick in their mouth and passes the pretzel from the front to back of the line. If the pretzel falls, it must be returned to the front of the line. First team to get their pretzel to the end of the line wins.
5. Beer Barrel Race – If you don’t have real barrels you can substitute garbage cans. Make guests use hockey sticks to guide the ‘barrels’ to the finish line.
6. Blind Beer Tasting – Blindfolded guests taste various beer samples and guess the beer. The guest that gets the most answers right wins.
7. Beer Pouring Contest – Challenge guests to pour a beer into a stein and award the guest who achieves the most head on the beer.
8. Beer Pong – Classic game of guests in teams standing around a long table and one from each team chugs their beer and then toss a ping pong ball to the other end of the table into a red solo cup. When achieved, the next team player takes a turn etc. First team to have all team members complete the challenge wins.
9. Yes/No Chug – Guests one by one address other guests by name and pose a yes/no question which he/she must answer without any hesitation or laughing. If the guest violates these rules they must chug their beer.
10. I’ve Never – Each guest takes a turn making a true statement like “I’ve never…” Anyone at the table who has actually done what the guest said they didn’t must drink. e.g. “I’ve never walked around my house naked.”…You can see how this game can get more and more interesting as the guests drink more!
Have fun picking and playing games at your party. You might want to have some sleeping bags and aspirin available for the losers! Ha!
Cheers from Eventastic!